Monday, 2 July 2012

Best of British


We’ve had a truly incredible year here in the UK and we’ll be really sad when the time comes to say good-bye to our happy little village. Along with sightseeing, royal spotting and travelling I’ve managed to find some time for my very favourite pastime.. shopping!

I spent three years in London in my twenties and developed a love (hmm.. obsession?) with the British High Street. It’s without a doubt very different to Australia, people are more fashion focused, clothes are brighter and louder and trends move quickly. Internet shopping is much more popular in the UK than Australia and many websites now deliver internationally.

Here is my review of the very best on the British High Street.



How could I start anywhere else? Everyone loves Topshop. When I step out of the tube at Oxford Circus and into three floors of Topshop heaven I want to cry tears of pure unadulterated happiness. Topshop is a one stop shop for the young and trendy so being in my mid-30’s I need to be far more selective than in the past, I am simply too old to be too trendy! Regardless, it’s in a class of its own and is a go-to shop for basics, shoes, accessories and one off items to add excitement to your wardrobe. Free international delivery for orders over £100.



Dorothy Perkins

Topshop for the slightly older and wiser. Dotty P (as the locals say) is great for basics and pretty tops and dresses. You don’t need to be a size 0 to look fab in their clothes. Keep an eye out for bargains as they have great sales.



Warehouse


Love, love, love Warehouse. Well priced, feminine and stylish clothes perfect for 30 something’s.


                                                                                                                                             

Not strictly a High Street store, as it doesn’t have its own shops, ASOS is an online treasure trove of British brands. It has free standard international shipping to Australia so is a great spot to pick up personal favourites such as Oasis and Warehouse and more high-end high street brands such as Whistles (a favourite of Kate Middleton) and Ted Baker. It also has its own ASOS brand which is trend driven and well-priced.

River Island

River Island was a favourite of mine back in my London heyday. Nowadays I find it a little bit ‘nightclub’; however you can still find the occasional gem and they have a brilliant range of pants and jeans made for women with hips and bottoms. Keep your eye out for free international shipping deals.

Oasis

Oasis are great dresses for weddings and special occasions, I find some of their hemlines a little short for me (sadly my legs are not my best feature). Lovely quality, lovely unique prints and fantastic during the sales.


Next

Fantastic for day to day casual clothes Next have a massive range and a really user friendly website. It isn’t trend driven or cutting edge fashion but it is stylish and good quality at good prices. Plenty of international delivery options and very genuine sales.

I’ll leave international favourites such as Mango, Zara, H & M and Gap for a whole other blog. 

Happy Shopping!

7 comments:

  1. I'm going to be looking for a dress to wear to a country-style wedding in September. Will definitely hit up some of these websites in search for the perfect one. What would you recommend for a country wedding??? I'm not sure what to expect of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd start looking now as the 'summer' sales are on (although we are yet to see any summer). I'd start with out Dorothy Perkins, they do lovely dresses :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and also Next, they do mostly casual clothes but I did pick up a lovely dress for our Christmas Party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this blog Bel - makes me want to hit the high street again - perhaps on line this time around x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kira... I am expecting a few parcel from Warehouse any day now.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will you be taking those things to the USA? You will be in shopping heaven of a completely different sort in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just picking up a few things in the summer sales for when we get home in December ;-)

    ReplyDelete