Saturday, 6 April 2013

Birdsnest & other favourites

I'll admit, the combination of returning to Australia after a 18 month US and UK shopping bonanza, along with being pregnant has dulled my shopping/fashion addiction somewhat (hear that sound? It's my husband sighing loudly with relief) but yesterday I was inspired by a trip to Cooma to the headquarters of Australian online fashion treasure trove www.birdsnest.com.au





The tour was arranged by one of my very favourite bloggers; Amanda from HerCanberra. Shopping, a goodie bag, style updates, a yummy lunch and the chance to meet some fellow style-a-holics, it was destined to be my kind of day.



Cooma is a small regional  town located just over an hour out of Canberra, it’s an unlikely location for a fashion empire and while the main street is home to the one and only retail outlet of Birdsnet, you can shop to your heart’s content on their amazing website.  My favourite features; a huge range of Australian and overseas brands, an excellent filtering system and the styled outfit area which cleverly does all the hard work for you.

Shopping for clothes whilst 8 months pregnant is admittedly difficult on a few levels (not being able to see my toes being one of them) but I did manage to pick up a few new items (yes, the stripe obsession continues).

mink pink stripe long sleeve tunic (buy it here) & mink pink stripe dress (no longer available online)


While it’s nice to know there is a great Australia online fashion option (Birdsnest offer next day delivery to most parts of Australia if your order by 1pm) I still love my international brands (you can check out my original Best of British online shopping blog here). Here is a quick recap of some of my favourites (plus a few new ones). These sites have been tried and tested since returning home to Australia and offer either free or reasonable shipping and returns.


Ahhh Next.. My husband loves telling the story of bumping into the Next delivery man at a local coffee shop one day, he not only knew my name but also my address, and led out us to his van where he had a few parcels for me he was due to deliver that day. Next now offers free and speedy delivery to Australia (in my experience, under 5 days) and an easy returns process. Excellent quality and hard to beat prices for stylish ladies, mens and children's wear as well as items for the home.


In my opinion you can't beat Marks & Spencer for quality. Whilst not always the most fashion forward, they make up for this with fantastic and affordable basics; especially underwear and a brilliant children's range. Currently free shipping to Australia (usually £15).


Two of my all time favourite UK brands are Oasis & Warehouse. They succeed in offering stylish, well priced pieces for those of us in our 30's that no longer have the desire to show our midriff, but aren't quite ready to embrace our inner nana. I'm so excited that they now ship direct to Australia (along with formal wear wonder Coast). As an added bonus they and also offer sale items, a great option for picking up out of season Northern Hemisphere bargains.


Happy shopping!


6 comments:

  1. I've missed your blogs! Sounds like I need to investigate Birdsnest if the bag is anything to go by & of course your rubber stamp of approval.

    If only my beloved UniQlo posted to Aus.......perhaps an overseas trip later this year is needed to get my fix x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kira, I heard Uniqlo is coming to Australia??

    http://www.dailylife.com.au/business/property/uniqlos-arrival-imminent-20121107-28wum.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I love your blog your posts are amazing !!! go check and subscribe !

    this is my blog http://wtfstreetstyle.blogspot.pt
    my istagram username : missappowtfstreetstyle
    my facebookpage: http://www.facebook.com/wtfstreetstyle

    kisses WTF! STREET STYLE !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog! I would love if you came and looked at mine!
    http://rosarahsgoodlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just stumbled upon this blog and it is a good thing that I did.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is great my friend keep it going and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete